Thursday, March 2, 2017

An Invitation to Shine (Sermon based upon Matthew 17:1-9)


Have you ever thought you had something all figured out only to find out later you didn’t? Such was the world of the disciples who first began to follow Jesus. Faithful Jews, they had been taught the ways of God: the laws, the prophetic words, and the promise of a coming Messiah. They thought they had it all figured out…until they met Jesus.

“Who do they say I am?” Jesus asks. Various answers come pouring in but it is Peter who takes the coveted prize of Jesus’ approval when he answers, “You are the Messiah, son of the Living God.” Jesus is so pleased he declares Peter the foundation upon which the church will be built. I bet Peter was proud but he fell off his self-imposed pedestal quite quickly, for no sooner than he had climbed up and settled down Jesus began to teach that he was going to go to Jerusalem where he would suffer greatly and die at the hands of those who would reject him. In an amazingly audacious act Peter pulls Jesus aside and scolds him for making such claims.
(Matthew 16:13-20)

A suffering Messiah? A dead savior? This was not like anything Peter had been taught so he tried to set Jesus straight. His reward this time? He was called Satan and pushed aside.

We all know how that feels, to think we know something only to find out later we didn’t know anything. It makes you question everything. It leaves you confused, fearful, and unsettled. Such was the state of Peter’s heart when today’s lesson picks up …

1 Six days later, Jesus took with him Peter and James and his brother John and led them up a high mountain, by themselves. 2 And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became dazzling white. 3 Suddenly there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him. 4 Then Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here; if you wish, I will make three dwellings here, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah." 5 While he was still speaking, suddenly a bright cloud overshadowed them, and from the cloud a voice said, "This is my Son, the Beloved; with him I am well pleased; listen to him!" 6 When the disciples heard this, they fell to the ground and were overcome by fear. 7 But Jesus came and touched them, saying, "Get up and do not be afraid." 8 And when they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus himself alone. 9 As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus ordered them, "Tell no one about the vision until after the Son of Man has been raised from the dead."  (Matthew 17:1-9, NRSV)

I remember the first time I went repelling with my husband. We were practicing high-level rescue off the 4th floor roof of a fire-training tower. I had practiced all the elements – tying the knots, laying out the rope system, fashioning a harness – I could do it all. Then came the moment I had to actually repel. I had to actually hang my body over the edge of a 4-story building and trust ropes, knots, and my belay person to get me safely to the ground. Now, I don’t like heights and I didn’t like this one bit but I had to do it to get my certification. So, I made it over the edge but then comes that moment when you have to lay back and trust your equipment to keep you from falling. I made it one step, then I made it two steps, then I realized if I went for the third step I would be at the point of no return – and that is when I began to panic. I looked up into the loving eyes of my husband and said, “I can’t do it. I’m coming back up.” And I will never forget what he did next….he moved to the edge of the roof and I saw one leg come over the edge and I thought, “He is so amazing, he is going to go down with me and make sure I’m ok.” It took me a second to realize the rest of him was not coming over the edge – just his foot – just a big ol boot - which was promptly placed on my forehead as I heard him say, “You aren’t coming back up” and he pushed me to take the third step. It is amazing we are soon celebrating 27 years of marriage considering all the bad things I said about him that day.

Fear, uncertainty, distrust; call it what you will, it can cause us to want to shelter in place where we think things are safe or at least more controllable than moving forward. We tend to want to stay on the roof where we think we have it all figured out.

We can see this all around us, even within The United Methodist Church. We are falling right in line with the rest of the world into the traps of division and polarization. We are being taught to fear and distrust brothers and sisters because we think we have to characterize our fellow believers in the same categories the world insists upon: We must be conservative or liberal, fundamentalist or progressive. We not only use these labels but we allow the labels to become the wall that divides us. If you are “that” you are wrong and I don’t trust anything about you. If you are “that” I am uncertain we have anything in common. If you are “that” then you must now be my enemy. When we do this we allow our fears, uncertainty, and distrust to stifle us from moving forward.

Peter was confident in what he thought he knew. Peter was hanging off the roof, confident of his skill, sure of his knots and systems, trusting all was going to be just fine. Then Jesus arrived with a boot to the forehead and began to unravel some of Peter’s theological knots by challenging everything Peter thought he knew about God’s work through the Messiah.

It was quite a bruising fall. I am sure that as Peter trudged up the mountain with Jesus six days later he was still nursing his wounds but I bet he was also shaken to the core with new uncertainty and fear. Did he really know what was going on? Had he been wrong to trust Jesus? Was he now following some crazy man on a suicide mission?

Once he got to the top of that mountain and looked upon the shining face of Jesus, when he saw the vision of Moses and Elijah there, Peter knew he had not been wrong about who Jesus was. Peter is so excited to be back on sure footing again he wanted to just stay right there. Let’s build condos and move in! If we stay here I don’t have to deal with that suffering Messiah confusion.

Isn’t this always our temptation when faced with a transfiguring and transforming truth that challenges our previously held convictions? We don’t want to admit that our certainties about God just might not be certainties after all. We are much more comfortable settling down right where we feel we know what is going on. Here’s the thing though – Jesus didn’t let Peter stay in that place – and like it or not, if we yield ourselves to Jesus, he won’t let us stay there either.

Yes, we get uncomfortable when we are faced with differing theologies but there are ways to help us find the confidence we need to step out of the shadows of what we have always known and into the shining radiance of a living, breathing experience with God that seeks to shine a new light of understanding. The key, I believe, is in the three phrases uttered upon that mountain.

“Listen to him”
“Get up”
“Do not be afraid”

God tells the three disciples they are to “listen” to Jesus. Folks, this is essential for us as we seek to understand who God is and what God expects of us. We have to listen to Jesus. We do so by committing ourselves certainly to reading scripture and seeking encounters with God in worship but prayer is also an essential key. Starting January 1st, United Methodists all across the nation have been committing themselves to praying for a way forward for our denomination. What we believe is that we can find unity and a path forward if we all trust that we are seeking to hear what God is saying and will act accordingly. “Listen to Jesus” means we have to push aside our own ideas and expectations, just like Peter did, and listen with open minds and hearts to what Jesus is trying to teach us. If Peter had his way there might never have been a cross of salvation and a resurrection of eternal life. Sometimes what we think we know can do more damage than good.

It strikes me as odd that when the disciples hear this command they fall to their knees in fear. Is listening to Jesus really that terrifying? It is when the things Jesus says challenge our own belief systems. Jesus understands this though. Jesus understands how hard it is to face truth when we have been so comfortable in our misunderstandings. So he gently touches his disciples and says, “Get up and do not be afraid.”

Hanging off the edge of a 4-story building, I thought Tim would be my savior. Instead he literally booted me into the place of my deepest fear. The thing is, Tim was confident in my safety. He had tied those knots himself; he had double-checked everything personally. He knew that I was going to be safe – even if I didn’t. Because he trusted in my future wellbeing he was able to thrust me into my fear instead of helping me avoid it.

When the disciples heard Jesus’ call for courage they looked up and saw all that was left was Jesus. Jesus himself alone, Matthew says. Except he wasn’t alone was he – he was with Peter, James and John – and together they walked down that mountain to face a world of suffering, rejection, division and pain…but they would not face uncertainty for in the shine of their Savior’s face they knew one truth above all others. God was with them, and brothers and sisters, God is with us as well.

On the website for the Pray our Way Forward initiative someone wrote: “If there is ever a place where we can be one, it’s in the space where we meet God.”

Let us enter that space together as we pray. I offer this prayer written by  colleague Rev. Amy Vaughan.

The Climb
O Lord,
Even as we struggle
And groan under this crust of frozen earth
Your steadfast love measures each step.
Lead us as we re‐imagine
Transformation
Balanced within
Unity,
New forms
Living in
Holy Places.
As we climb mountains,
And the air grows thin,
May we be reminded to listen with Our eyes and our hearts.
You are the rope that we grasp,
The solid footing on which we stand,
And the broad horizon we will see
When this veil of our own self‐made fog clears.
Lead us, again, as we,
Brother and sister,
Make our way,
Hand in hand
To see together

The way forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment